Friday, July 23, 2010

HAPPY DAY! THE KIDS ARE COMING HOME…


Yes! Around here things are buzzing, getting ready for the kids to come home. Phillip, Amy and Caeden will come in tonight and Rob will get here tomorrow morning. I love it when this time of year rolls around they all come in for the GA Mountain Fair and celebrate Phillip’s birthday on the 27th. Wish you were here right now to smell my kitchen the always requested birthday cake is in the oven making a statement…”it’s time to gather around and have a party….

OH! Buzzer just went off, just took the cake out, can you smell it? After it cools, I’ll put the white icing on that makes for a pretty BD Cake and tonight before they all call it a night around midnight each night, they get a big slice with a big glass of cold milk and end a full day. I love standing back and watching them enjoy my creation, knowing my hands put together something they know that only Mama makes…makes me smile ☺!

So it will be a bit busy around here for the next few days, might not blog but will take note of the happenings and report soon.

If you would like to make your family traditions begin at the early stage for you kids here is the birthday cake recipe that makes them want to come home and celebrate laughing and having fun talking around the family table. Try it and see!!!

MARY’S POUND CAKE

3 sticks butter (room temp)
1 8 oz. cream cheese (room temp)
6 eggs (room temperature is best for cakes)
3 c. sugar (sometimes I make the third cup a little less)
3 c. Swansdown cake flour (measured then sifted)
1 tablespoon vanilla flavoring
1/4 teaspoon almond flavoring (opt). (Mary’s note leave out for Rob’s!)

Preheat oven at 325 degrees. Cream butter and cream cheese, add sugar, and mix until smooth. Add eggs one at a time rotating with flour, add flavoring. Put in greased tube pan. (If use Teflon pan just spray with Pam). Bake for 1 and ½ hours. Cool cake in pan 15 minutes before turning out on plate.

(For Christmas Cake - add 1-cup chopped pecans and 1 jar mar. cherries (drained). First mix nuts and cherries with tablespoon flour, cover well this will keep from dropping to the bottom of pan as it bakes. Fold in batter before putting in pan. Bake as above and Leave off icing.

VANILLA ICING

1 stick butter
1 box confection sugar (sifted)
3 tablespoons milk (I use skim or whole)
1 teaspoon vanilla
dash salt

Cream butter with mixer, add sugar, add milk, dash of salt. Mix until smooth the longer the better. Before applying icing make sure cake is cool, brush off crumbs. Turn cake upside down to ice. I put a little icing on the plate to keep it from sliding.

2 comments:

  1. Is it Robbie or Phillip who puts ice in their milk? I was @ your house in Doraville, I had spent the night and the next morning everyone was getting some bfast. One of your boys put ice in his milk telling me that was the ONLY way to drink milk, so I did the same, and still do it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I got them on to that. My Dad got me on to it. This is generational, passing it on! What a memory you have...

    ReplyDelete