Tuesday, August 24, 2010

VACATION IS TIME OUT…


….from this “rat-race” we have been in! But…. last Sunday after church we had our RV packed and ready to head out to Maggie Valley, NC for a campground that is nestled in the mountains where quite resides and lazy is permitted. We are on Lot#65 in this place and that is all I have to remember when I walk away to hear the sounds of nature or drive into the neatest little town of Waynesville. When I am finished all I have to do is go to my numbered place, sit in my chair and feel the wind in my hair and the sounds of the birds in the trees. The ducks are swimming pass me, quacking like that are saying something to me as they look over. Maybe they are saying, “hope you are enjoying this as much as we are”. You know what? WE ARE and how timely is this!

I don’t like to post too much for you to read as you pass by but this morning this came to my attention making me feel like it was a message from God saying we are needing to slow down and let the “main thing be the main thing”. I just had to share this with you as I read it. It made me see the importance of slowing down and what a good place to “hear” and “get” the message sitting right here by the creek. The picture placed here today is just what I am looking at right now. Look at it, take a deep breath and relax with me, why don’t you?....

And at your convenience read this and how it applies to where you are living today. I would file it away somewhere to look at it often so you want forget to take “TIME OUT” when you get back in that fast lane…..

A Needed Pit Stop
by Charles R. Swindoll
Hebrews 12:1-2
Is time passing faster, or am I just getting older? Can this really be the last hurrah of the summer? School can't actually be starting already, can it? I feel like swapping my calendar for a stopwatch.
Today I have decided to slow down long enough to stop the blur and look. Not just to look, but to see. As Yogi Berra once said, "You can observe a lot just by watching."
Sometimes it helps to open life's door slowly and secretively take a long gaze inside. On other occasions, it's better to jerk it open unannounced, slam on the light, and get a quick read. I've been doing the latter today, and I don't like what I see. My sudden glance has flushed out all sorts of critters.
Too many involvements 
Intensity level much too high 
Time to pray, to think, to plan, to play is still too rushed 
Midget worries turning into imaginary monsters 
Living life too predictable . . . not enough creativity 
Days off interrupted by needless, low-priority stuff 
Skating across relationships---need to dig deeper 
Extracurricular reading not sufficiently stimulating
I know of no better strategy for stopping such an ugly, rat-infested existence than deliberately pulling off the racetrack and taking periodic pit stops to refuel, renew, refresh, and recover. Let me level with you. Your pace is your problem and my pace is mine. We got ourselves into this maddening race, and each one of us is personally responsible for the speed at which we're driving ourselves.
If you can say, "I've sinned. The pace I'm keeping is not healthy---spiritually, mentally, or physically. It's not what I want, but it's my own doing," then I urge you to do so---and then do something about changing it.
I can't promise instant and total transformation, but I can assure you of this: It will be the most unusual pit stop you'll ever make. You'll not only get your tank filled, you'll also get your rats killed!
Do you think you should take that needed pit stop to refuel, renew, refresh, and recover so you can reenter the race and run with diligence?

No comments:

Post a Comment