Friday, October 22, 2010

BULLYING – LOTS SAID ABOUT THIS LATELY…


My thoughts about this subject, is we really need to be careful with our words. Things we say cannot be brought back in. I heard a little story one time about a young girl who had said some bad things about her friend; the friend was hurt and suffering from the words that had come her way. This girl’s mother took her to their attic and opened the window. She placed a feather pillow in the young girls hands and ask her to shake it out the window. Little did she know that the pillow had a slit in it and feathers flew everywhere as the wind whipped among them. The mother looked at the little girl and said, “Now go pick them all up”. There’s a strong lesson we can learn here. It is impossible to gather up all those things we say about someone with the intent to harm. That is called Slander or in today’s society Bullying.

This is done much to often in our School System even more than when I was in my early days of education. In my minds eye I do remember walking down the halls afraid someone would say one of those hurtful things. I had practiced my “comebacks”. It was either, “sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me” or “ Oh! Go jump in a lake, swallow a snake and come up with a belly ache”. Those things no doubt were made up by someone in their own defense and it is still probably making it’s circuit trying to help someone fight off the hurtful words that come their way. Looking back I am smiling right now just thinking what a weak defense I had and didn’t even know it. But I went out with those phrases in mind to hold back the mean kids wanting to demean someone and I feared it was going to be me. It’s a harsh world out there and if we don’t know who we are, what we are about and walk with confidence we become a target. Today, I hold my head up high knowing, Who I am and Who I belong to, I ‘m a daughter of the King. He is on my side my Father is The Almighty God, my Brother is Jesus Christ my Lord and Savior and I am equip inside with Holy Spirit Who guides my every step!!!

I can only speak for myself, but I want my words when I speak to someone, to be encouraging, spoken with thought and not to cut down. The latter would mean I don’t think very much of myself and I want to pull them down with me or below me. And as far as speaking words about someone in their absence, it is not worth it you pay a price and you could be in bondage to it for years! Think about it…. it sure is good not to have to go back and cover your tracks. Talk healthy words to someone today…..

May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalms 19:14

No comments:

Post a Comment