Thursday, September 8, 2011

LOVE THE SMELL OF A HOME COOKED MEAL…


This week was Labor Day and the setting was just right for a Home Cooked Meal.  The storm called “Lee” was predicted to come through giving this land some much-needed rain.  We were told we could see from 5 to 7 inches of it, I thought we need it but not all at the same time!

We saw it coming so I declared it a “Home Cooked Comfort Food Day” so I rattled the pots and pans. The weather was a cool rainy day we opened the doors where the breeze could flow through the house. I had gathered all the fixings the day before, got up early on Monday and started.  My menu was Pot Roast with potatoes, carrots and gravy, green beans, candid yams, fried squash, rolls and sweet iced tea.  Desert was fried apples for just a sweet dish for later with coffee in our new Keurig coffee pot that makes the cup anytime with any flavor pod you select. So Yum was on the way….

Our two guys love to cook, they found out I was making our family pot roast that has been past down through the family and had been left with me.  They ask if I would write the recipe so they could carry it on to the next generation.  I got the idea to place it here with pictures I took to show them.  

Well, I don’t like bragging on my own cooking but that meal was “out of sight good” even if I did cook it.  So let me try to get Momma's recipe out of my head and on to paper. I want you to have it too!….

                              MOMMA’S OVEN POT ROAST

Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 3 hrs
Serves: 6 to 8 servings

Ingredients:

    * 1 (3 to 4-pound) boneless bottom round roast or sirloin tip roast
    * Salt and ground black pepper
    * Miss Dash
    * Garlic salt
    * ¼ cup olive oil
    * ¼ cup or a little more self-rising floor
    * 3 cups water
    * 1 large onion, quartered
    * Two cups baby carrots 
    * Three or four med white peeled potatoes quartered
   
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Season roast on all sides with salt, pepper, Mrs Dash and garlic salt… judge how much by how well seasoned you like it.

In large frying pan sear roast on all sides in oil.  Place roast in a Dutch oven and place veggies around it.  
 Put flour in frying pan with seared drippings and oil over medium-high heat, this will make medium brown rue for your gravy.  Watch closely so it will not get too dark.  When all stirred together and brown to your liking add water.  Have heat on med or where it will boil so you can stir it well to get out lumps. 
 Begin to reduce just a little then pour over roast. 
  Place in preheated oven for 3 hours After an hour and a half check the gravy to see if it is getting too thick if so add a little more water. Cook for remaining time. Transfer the roast to a cutting board and let rest for 15 to 20 minutes, slice and serve.

Finish product on platter ready to serve.....
One last picture Phil took to send to the boy's telling them Momma cooked.
I want show you the picture he sent later of his plate after he finished it off and then went to take a nap...

No comments:

Post a Comment