Wednesday, January 11, 2012
LEAP YEAR! ....WHAT IS THAT?
Leap year happens because the Earth doesn't take exactly 365 days to orbit the sun, but instead very close to 365.25 days. Every four years, an extra day is inserted to keep the seasons in position. If we didn't, the seasons would creep backwards through the year. That adjustment is also not perfect, so century years not divisible by 400 are not leap years. Leap years were first instituted by Julius Caesar in 45 BCE, and the astronomer Sosigenes of Alexandria helped him invent it.
Ever wondered what does one do if they are born on Feb 29th? Here is the answer just to file away if you are interested. You are legally allowed to change your birthday to the 28th of Feb. or the 1st of March.
But, technically speaking, your birthday is once every four years.
If you want to speak absolutely technical, you were born every year on the extra 6 hours the world receives when completing the full resolution of the sun.
Every year has an extra 6 hours. Hence why they combined the whole 6 hours every four years and created an extra day during a leap year. Leap referring to the leap the extra day gives the world. It resettles back to the position it was at the start of the four year period.
So there you have it!
One more thing...what are you going to do with this extra day? Start planning now for it to happen next month it will be here before you know it....
1. Stay in the bed that day and don’t even get up until the next day, that would not be me I think I would miss something.
2. Put all those pictures you have into frames. You’ve put it off long enough.
3. Grill up the biggest steak you can find.
4. Go for a walk … in that wooded area behind your neighbor’s house.
5. Find a creek and play in it. (Don’t do this barefooted, please.)
6. Count how many days until the end of the year and plan one thing for each of those days.
7. Create and name your own sandwich.
8. Take your mate shopping for no reason. If you don’t have a mate, take a best friend. If you don’t have a best friend … well, I don’t know what to tell you.
9. Plan that trip you’ve been meaning to take to visit old friends.
10. Go to the nearest college campus and act like a student. If you already are a college student, walk around campus acting like a professor. A snooty professor.
11. Build your own raised-bed garden.
12. Get your hair styled so your friends won’t recognize you.
13. Toss a water balloon high into the air and try to catch it without breaking it.
14. Go fishing. You could be the next Bassmaster.
Create and name your own drink. It could take some experimentation, so prepare wisely.
Get up one hour earlier than normal. If you get up at 4 a.m., go to bed one hour later than normal.
17. Ride your bike to work or the store or wherever you want. If you don’t have a bike, buy one, then ride it.
18 - Rent the movie Leap Year, watch it on the 29th and if there’s someone you are waiting on to ask you to marry you that is the day you can ask him hope it goes well with the right answer you’re looking for.
19 - 29 I’m out of ideas you can make your own!
Have little ones? Check out some neat games here at http://www.blogher.com/leap-year-games
Having a Leap Year Birthday party? http://leapyearday.com/content/kids-leap-day-birthday-party-planner
Are you asking if I am bored? No! things like this interest me! I like researching for you and me so check back soon for something more life meaning if it matters to ya!!!...