Sunday, June 27, 2010

TASTE AND SEE THAT THE LORD IS GOOD…



You recognize that phase don’t you? It’s something David wants us to know and experience that’s why he put it in Psalm 34:8 he said, Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good! Blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him!

I like to project in my mind the things David was going through when he wrote the words we read today. He had to be tired and wary from running from his enemy. We had the privilege of taking a Holy Land trip several years ago. My friend sitting by me on the bus, said as we were leaving the Dead Sea area and traveling up to Jerusalem, Nancy said, “look over there at those rugged hills. They have caves in them called crags. David hid in theme from King Saul.” I thought Wow! My eyes were looking at places David had walking and used as his dwelling places, places he spent alone with Father. Now, no doubt he was faced with some strong challenges, feeling as though he was going under for the last time. Then he wrote, Oh, taste and see the Lord is good! Even saying, Blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him! David was using our human senses to teach us something here. He said “taste” and “see”. That takes action on our part or want be able to "own" these facts.

Just thinking here... what is the one thing my husband and I enjoy eating? The first thing that comes to my mind is a good hot “just from the oven hot” pan of delicious cinnamon rolls or sticky buns. Yum! I can taste them now can’t you? When you put that first bit in your mouth all your taste buds go to work causing good feelings all the way to heart. You see the best of the best in the middle saving it for last. I think you get the picture and you can bring up the memory of the time and place you tasted it!

Back to what David was telling us, I think he wanted us to know his Almighty God who had led him out of the darkest places. I know we can take heed to his words; he was a man after God’s own heart. Reading Matthew Henry Commentary, he has something that caught my eye, he says, “By taste and sight we both make discoveries, and have enjoyment; Taste and see God's goodness; take notice of it, and take the comfort of it. He makes all truly blessed that trust in him. As to the things of the other world, they shall have grace sufficient for the support of spiritual life. And as to this life, they shall have what is necessary from the hand of God.” Don’t’ you think that says it all! You know what I mean, most likely you have experienced it, maybe even today!

The next time you put that “good something” in your mouth and it just sets your good feels off. Or your eyes see something that just takes you away speechless, think of how it is nothing when you put it up against the things Father wants for us. I share one personal experience I had just yesterday. Then I am out of here to let you ponder on these thoughts. As I was leaving the Restaurant where I had lunch, the owner was standing there eating some gorgeous cookies, he handed me one. I was trying to decline thinking I had eaten enough but he insisted. I put that thing in my mouth; never had one before like it, and it was divine. I kept saying that is sooooo goooooood! My next thought kicked in “that’s You Lord, that’s what you are to me and I sure do love you”,

….taste and see!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment