Friday, July 30, 2010

BFF – SANDRA…..



BFF – SANDRA…..

I hope you have one, in my mind you can’t have one like me. Mine is so unique. Only God could have put us together. One day 64 years ago, when I was three years old (ouch! I have to tell you my age so you can see the full story here) mother told me a new friend was coming to meet me. Her mother had called and asks if they could come to our house for a visit. That day I did not know my future would take on such a full event!

Daddy had made me a little stool that sat low on the floor, I sat there waiting all cleaned up with my little yellow dress on. She came in and there she was little Sandra Ann Storey. We were introduced and right there it all began BFF/ Best Friends Forever…

Little did I know that day this little girl would mean so much to me years ahead. What a gift from God, true friendship is! Put the character of the person in and what a sweet personal gift from Him.

Moving through the years, we made mud pies together, enjoyed sleepovers laughing trying to drink the big glass bottle Coke that had just come on the market. Then chased the boys. Oh! Loved the AJC paperboys!! Put the miles on her little car called a Prenz, sneaked puffs on Salems when they first came out, later eating peanut butter to hide it from our mothers, had a blast at South Bend swimming pool dancing the real Shag with sand thrown on the floor to hear the sound. Elvis first movie made us cry as we sat on the front row at the Rialto Theater. Proudly we walked down the aisle of the Atlanta Municipal Auditorium graduating from Fulton High School. I felt like it was me getting honors when she received her awards for secretarial studies that night, used later at Delta as Secretary to the big wheels. Then came our marriages… early!!! Our first employment kept us together as we worked side by side at Butler Shoe Corp. Saying goes …What comes after marriage? The baby carriage!!! I had Rob she held him and wanted one of those and 9 months later here came Kenny. See we’re still together!

Years have gone by and we are older now but still held tighter than ever. We laugh, we cry, we tell our deepest secrets, we problem solve, gain and lose and try all the diets, go camping and watch our guys set up our little abodes on wheels and comment on how nice it is to be treated like queens. Best of all, Aug 6, 1968 she and Lamar invited us to go to church, Maranatha Baptist Church in Forrest Park, Ga, that morning our lives changed forever as we accepted Christ as our Savior and Lord. You see, she not only cared about my life on this side, she cared about my life being on the other side giving us a love bond that can’t be broken.

So many years later, what I know now I didn’t know the day I met my BFF...it is she always has accepted me just like I am, and is so patient with me. She gives me advice I value, she gives me time when I call at the last minute knowing it’s Wednesday morning and she is getting in the shower trying to hurry to Kohl’s for the Wednesday sale.

Sandra loves God and is beautiful inside and out. She has taught me how a friend relationship works. In the last few years, I have entered into knowledge and understanding that I can have a friend relationship with my Heavenly Father. He wants to be my friend and me to be His. He has used this earthly person, as an example of how it works, always there, always has loved me anyhow, stands up for me, believes in me and is never ending. Now that’s a real friend! And that’s my Sandra….

No comments:

Post a Comment