Monday, May 30, 2011

I’M PROUD OF OUR COUNTRY…

Today is Memorial Day in America. I live in an area where people come for a vacation on long weekends like this. They came in to this mountain town on Friday camping in the campgrounds, renting cabins on the mountains or on the rivers. Some just come for a day for the slow life after living the fast pace city life. Oh and I don’t want to forget the ones who come to hike a trail we have lots of nice trails here including the Appalachian Trail. One day soon I’m going to write about our overnight hike we did several years ago you will not want to miss that!

So Memorial Day, what does it mean to you? I looked at what Wikipedia said about it and here is what I found:

Memorial Day is a United States federal holiday observed on the last Monday of May. Formerly known as Decoration Day, it commemorates U.S. Service Members who died while in the military service.[1] First enacted by formerly enslaved African-Americans [2] to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War – it was extended after World War I to honor Americans who have died in all wars.

Do you know someone who gave his or her life for our freedom? I haven’t had anyone in my family, but I know so many other families who had to face the day of getting the message that their loved one died serving our country. Today while you are having a good time, stop in a moment of silence saluting the brave ones who died that we might have the liberty, that we just might be taking for granite. At that time also don’t forget to pray for those out there, today at this moment in their place, serving with dedication. Let’s don’t forget they are there…

No comments:

Post a Comment