Monday, May 9, 2011

TIME IS FREE….

“Time is free, but it’s priceless. You can’t own it, but you can use it. You can’t keep it, but you can spend it. Once you’ve lost it you can never get it back.” – Harvey MacKay

I like that quote about time, seems like I am always busy doing something. Sometimes I feel like a “termite in a yo-yo” always moving, but not getting anywhere. At the end of the day, I feel like my time was spent but where did it go? Phil is a guy who has a plan and works his plan. Over the years I have tried to adapt to him in his plan. Sometimes I feel like Gomer Pyle, it must frustrate Phil but he is so kind and has been patient with me. I know it is a gift to be organized. Planning with goals and reaching them is exciting. It comes hard for me because I tend to me just “happy go lucky” and tend to waste time, but I’m working on it! One day I thought, we all need a little “tension on our strings” to make beautiful music. Time is Free and it is valuable, knowing we just have one life to live; it is more valuable now on this end of my life, after “getting” to have 67 years of this valuable life makes me want to spend it wisely….

I have heard Phil teach about life being like having LIFE DOLLARS. I ask him to write it out for me to share here about time and how valuable it is. Here is what he says, “Life is like a Bank Account filled with “Life Dollars”. It is a peculiar account in that it is refilled each week with 168 “Life Dollars”. It is up to us to decide what we do with each “Life Dollar”. We can spend them, there’s some value here, we can waste them, there’s no value here, of course. But we can invest them. That’s where the value is. There are all kinds of investment opportunities. It is up to us to discover what opportunities (investments) are best suited for us. Which ones fit my personality best? Which ones pay the best interest…. eternal interest!”

Nothing is wrong with stopping and stepping back taking a breath in this fast pace world. I love to Retreat to a quite place!!! Read what I found in one of my journals today in an entry from Feb. 2011 – “Guess what I did today? Nothing!!! Outside, it’s cold, rainy and the wind is rattling the siding on our house, it’s blowing so hard. That makes for a good day to wear my “comfee clothes”, as our grandson calls it, all day, yes all day. I read a little, sipped on my hot tea, took a nap, read some more, watched the wind blow the trees out the window, saw a few snow flakes in the air, dreamed about next summer being on the beach in the hot sun". I love to look back in my journal to see what I was doing on a certain day, see I did take some time for me. On days like today it helps to be reminded to do it again!

Here’s a quote from a Blog I follow. This guy is from England and his English accent even comes through as you read his written words about his "time investments". I do like what he is saying about Time being free in his words. Listen to what he has to say, he calls it, HOLY POTTERING “I've been pottering today. It's what I do when I'm really tired and can't concentrate on important tasks. I've had a really hectic spell on the road and arrived back on Sunday afternoon feeling shattered. I don't often reach such a point of emptiness, but I did on Sunday, so I'm grateful for a gentler week ahead of me, and the time to potter. Someone, for whom English is not their mother tongue, asked me what it means to potter. The dictionary says to potter is to work in a leisurely manner, to dawdle, to take one's time. I find it really helpful sometimes to spend my time doing 'little things', and to do them slowly. Like tidying my desk, putting my books away, re-organizing my rucksack. Doing things that aren't high priority requires less of an effort, and when we do them at a leisurely pace we find that are souls have time to catch up with our bodies and we can come back to a place of wholeness and integration. A wise friend once spoke to me about 'holy pottering', and I guess that's what I've been doing today. It feels really good. Why not try it?”

Time is valuable, the way we use it shapes our future. I heard one time we are what we do. I want to take time to live in the moment by taking a day off, having “HOLY PUTTERING” time. This allows one to evaluate how they are doing in this life. So I think I will go right now and "spend some of my time" investing in the "here and now", the cobwebs of the past few months can be cleared out, seeing clearly what I want and what I plan to do for an "investment in the future". This hammock looks like a good place to start. I think I'll pretend I'm there relaxing having a meeting with me, myself and I! Come with me if you want. OK! Close your eyes and let's pretend, smell the ocean air and feel the breeze...AH!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment