Friday, July 15, 2011

OH MY!!!.. ARE THESE COOKIES GOOD OR WHAT?......


Just sitting here minding my own business and this popped in my mind, “how long has it been since I made Phil’s favorite cookies?”  Too long… the next thing I know I was “rattling those pots and pans”.  Of course, he was happy.

It had been so long I had to search through my recipes.  I wanted to make a healthy cookie one day, so I found one of those Heath Gurus’ websites.  Then I made it my own by putting in some bad stuff (that would be unhealthy stuff) and “Walla”, the delicious Honey Oatmeal Cookie!

As I was combining this mixture, I thought of you and how I should share it. You will enjoy them especially when it might be a cold night and you want something to be a comfort food, making the house smell good.  Funny it is 93 degrees today and they were still a comfort food and the house still smelt good.  I needed some comfort today and maybe everyday until I have to put a stop to it when the waistline gets too tight…. Oh! I don't want go there….

So hope you enjoy them as we are today.  As you will see, I was not in the mood to stand there and makes these little balls then put them on the pan and put a floured glass on them pressing them into perfect little cookies…NAW!  I pressed them in a sheet pan, baked them, let them cool real good and cut them in nice little squares. They taste just as well.  When you make them, according to how you feel, you can do it either way. 

Here is the recipe for you to be a “show off” to anyone you want to surprise and listen to them brag on you.  They will love you for it!!!….

Honey Oatmeal Cookies

  • 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 3/4 cup shortening
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 1/4 cups plain flour (I use cake flour)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups oats, rolled (raw)
  • opt. Dried fruit such as: raisins, chopped dates, dried cranberries (I use about ½ cup packed)
  • opt. Nuts such as: chopped pecans or chopped walnuts (I use about ½ to 1 cup)
Beat sugar, honey, shortening, egg and vanilla together. Sift together flour, salt and soda and add to creamed mixture. Stir in oats,  nuts, dries fruit.  Drop by spoon onto greased cookie sheet or parchment paper works best. Bake in preheated oven 350° F until lightly browned or about 7 minutes, makes about 5 dozen cookies.
Another idea is to press all the cookie dough out on a large cookie sheet used to make jelly roll, line with parchment paper.  Bake for 17 to 20 minutes at 350 watch carefully may take less time depending on your oven. ( mine takes 20 minutes and they are nice and chewy) Let cool and cut into small finger size pieces takes less time this way.   

Wish you were here, you could taste these with me while we had a nice, long chat.....




No comments:

Post a Comment