Monday, June 27, 2011

WOULDN’T IT BE NICE IF WE ALL LIVED IN UNITY...?


This topic was brought to my attention years ago as I attended a Seminar, you might have been in attendance as well. It was in a large Public Arena, the conference speaker asks his elderly father to come to the platform to read a portion of scripture. As this man stood before us reading, you could tell in his voice he really desired what the words said. It was evident he had lived long enough in his seasoned life to know this was a need. It was so powerful to have this godly man have the honors of this moment. Everyone knew it was his desire to see all men get along with one another. As you read the following scripture, pretend you are back in that crowd with me. Now get the picture, the place was packed that day, seating thousands at full capacity. You could hear a pin drop, as he spoke these words. We all sat in total silence listening as He spoke with authority in a deep voice, with perfect enunciation as he read slowly the words of…..

Psalms 133: 1-3
Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!
It is like the precious ointment upon the head, that ran down upon the beard, even Aaron's beard: that went down to the skirts of his garments; As the dew of Hermon, and as the dew that descended upon the mountains of Zion: for there the LORD commanded the blessing, even life for evermore.”


I feel a sense of soothing peace when I hear these words. You want that to… I can tell because you are still here reading. If you didn’t, you would have clicked off and surfed on to something else. I love reading David, I can relate to the things he faced. Through the Spirit of God David left behind these words to glean from.

We aren’t told when David wrote this Psalm, but it seems it might have been at a time of peace in his life and that of his nation. I would think that every person who has ever lived on planet earth would recognize the truth of this statement, so it makes you wonder why division rather than unity is the norm.

Webster defines unity as “1. To delay, to linger. 2. To abide, to remain, to continue. 3. …to live in a place.” The first definition really struck me; we usually think of this word in terms of the 3rd definition. It made me think of spending an evening with good friends we would stretch it out, starving for the fellowship, because we just didn’t want to end.

We usually think of “brethren” as referencing our relatives, which it does; but it can also be used to describe a group of people with something special in common. David had reason to appreciate it’s meaning fully in both aspects. His family was quite dysfunctional at times, and he definitely experienced difficult times with the people of Israel as a whole. When he finally did get to enjoy a time of “unity” in the family and/or nation, he knew that it was a time to enjoy and treasure.

Unity is one of the key points of concern that Jesus has for His family of faith. His prayer to the Father recorded in John 17 (which is one of my favorite passages in the Word) is quite clear in that regard.

John 17:20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;

John 17:21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.

John 17:22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:

John 17:23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

Why is unity among the body of believers so important? The answer is given in verse 21 and 23—“that the world may believe that thou has sent me,” and “that they may be made perfect in one.” He even answers why the Father sent Him—to show His love for those that serve Him in faith, love and obedience.

Unity can be lived out daily in our homes and community. I hope you feel the same way as I do, wanting everyone to get along and enjoy life. I realize it is not a perfect world and we all are going to “knock heads” from time to time. But it can begin with you, is there someone you need to “give some space” maybe forgive? Think about it, ask Father to show you how you can resolve any conflict you might have with a brother or sister in family or community and I will too!...

No comments:

Post a Comment