Wednesday, August 4, 2010

FRAGRANCE... ARE YOU A SWEET AROMA?


Why do we need fragrance in this world? It exercises one of our senses; our nose will send a message to our brain...Ah! that smell so good! There are good smells and bad smells. As we walk in the spirit, our lives will give out a sweet fragrance. It causes those in our presence to want more of what they smell. What kind of fragrance are you to the world around you? When one leaves your presence, do they go away saying, “What was that sweet aroma?” I want to be a sweet fragrance allowing my life to take the message of Jesus where ever I go, how about you? According to the scripture we do that, as we walk in the Spirit. 11 Cor. 2:15 “A sweet savor of Christ. This fragrant odor of the gospel was diffused both among the saved and the unsaved.”

One time when our son, Phillip was a young boy he went in a store with me. I wanted to buy a new perfume. You could get any fragrance you wanted in this place, if they didn’t have it on the shelf, they would make it for you. As we walked in the store he said loudly, “what is that I smell?” The sales lady looked at him and said, "you have got to be kidding me", but he was serious. We are all different fragrances but we all make up one sweet aroma in the nostrils of our God. I sometimes sit and let my mind wonder about what God must think about our worship. How He must love the sweet smell his children give to him. The scripture tells us our worship releases a fragrance to the nostrils of God. Genesis 8:20-21….”And the Lord smelled a soothing aroma.” The word here for smelled, is ruach, “to perceive, to enjoy, smell”.

Don’t know about you, but this makes me want to worship Him each day, giving Him my undivided attention. I will never forget one time, I got the idea I would pack a bag and go over to our guesthouse where everyone enjoys staying. I would take a few days to enjoy a quite retreat. It was raining so I thought; I can play “let’s pretend” and have Phil to put my bags in the car like I had arrived at the airport. I even sat in the backseat as he drove me out of our garage into the garage of the guesthouse and he placed my bags inside. (I am laughing so hard as I type this thinking how sweet my husband was that day to play along with me cooperating with my plan, he is the best!!!)

I unpacked and got all settled in with my Bible, journal and pen. Sitting on the sofa, soft music playing in the background, candles burning like I like them, I looked over and saw some dust on the floor. I jumped up and took care of it right away. While at the trashcan, I noticed we were low on paper towels and toilet tissue in the cabinet? I ran downstairs and brought them back up. After several maintenance issues later, I walked by my spot of perfect solitude. Suddenly my short attention span was arrested and I was reminded of my purpose for coming. In my heart, I could hear, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her" (Luke 10:38-42).

I must say, with tears I ran back to my spot and continued where I had left off when I pushed “the pause button”. How patient Father is with us as we wonder away toward something that distracts us so easily. I think Mary practiced “single-mindedness” as she went about, having those around her smell a sweet smelling savor. Can you smell it?.... I can…..

No comments:

Post a Comment